President Wayne Pitts sent the following minutes from the subject meeting of the ACBA:
6:00 PM - Meeting Called to Order by Wayne Pitts, President
1. Wayne made a presentation about Bee Festooning.
2. The group was updated on the recent NC meeting.
3. Wayne shared plans for ACBA’s support of the Ashe 4H Program (9-17 year olds).
Currently working with the local 4H representative to discuss opportunities to coordinate
efforts. He requested volunteers to help with the effort.
4. Wayne discussed examples of waivers (not sponsored by ACBA), explaining how they
could be used and their limitations.
- a. Memo of Understanding - helps set expectations with homeowner if you are
removing bees from their property.
- b. Hold Harmless Agreement - example of agreement you can have with home
owner that explains inherent risks in the process.
5. Education Committee - Kim Pitts covered multiple education events the ACBA has
planned for the upcoming weeks/months including;
- a. April 22 - Old Store in Grassey Creek
- b. April 28 - Mt View Elementary School
- c. July 19 - Library
- d. Several others that will be sent to the members in an email over the next week.
- e. Volunteers are needed for each event.
6. Members were reminded to pay their annual $10 dues and support for scholarships.
7. Blake noted that ACBA had an approved space at the Farmer’s Market from 8:00-1:00
on August 19. Also currently planning the Environmental Education Day on September
12 from 9:00-2:00.
- a. Blake also discussed Surrey County BeeKeepers starting a new race of queens
and a bee yard and noted ACBA might consider a similar effort, noting that they
received a grant to cover part of the cost.
- b. Farmers Market is sponsoring a Seed Swap that would be of interest to the
8. James Wilkes updated the group on a workshop at ASU on May 6 and gave instructions
on how to register.
9. Plans for Christmas in July were discussed, highlights included;
- a. Saturday July 1st
- b. Cost of space $125 and $25 application fee
- c. Motion to approve made by Todd Swanson / motion passed
- d. Todd S. noted he has a tent / table that could be used
- e. Kim P. will create a sign-up sheet.
10. Wayne discussed details of Photo Contest and received agreement from the group to
proceed with draft plans.
11. Wayne gauged interest in having a couple of field trips during the summer and received
positive feedback from the group.
12. Wayne summarized a variety of local / state / regional meetings and events that would
be of interest to the members.
13. Jim Rash requested volunteers for the Cluster Mentoring Program
14. Wayne moderated a discussion about the current state of the member’s bees.
Wayne kicked off an online presentation on ‘Probiotics’ by Megan Domico from UNC-G
● In summary - evidence and independent trials does not support claims made about the
benefits of Probiotics, so don’t waste your money.
Meeting adjourned at 8:00.
Submitted by Ken Jenkins / Secretary.