NCSBA members should read the Winter issue of Bee Buzz and be sure to look up the article about our own Doug Galloway on page 21! He and Mary Williams, president of the Watauga bee group, are making a difference by going out into the community (including schools!) and teaching about bees!
* The final ACBA meeting was our annual potluck dinner held on November 10.
* Those in attendance brought loads of goodies: salad, dessert, drink, bread, veggie, etc. The club furnished the meat but also had other meat dishes!
* A final appeal in 2016 to all Ashe County beekeepers to please consider volunteering! Because all of us have so many other things going on, we try to keep 'in person' meetings to a minimum after our initial meeting (January or February) to map out the year. We've been able to communicate with each other via email most of the time. It's a fun group, and we're excited about ideas for next year!
* The October meeting of the ACBA for 2016 was on Thursday, October 13, 2016 at the Ashe County Cooperative Extension Office, Ashe County Center, 134 Government Circle, Jefferson, NC 28640.
* As our last regular meeting for the year, Greg Fariss, state apiary inspector for the area, was on hand to tackle whatever questions were presented by members! We've never been disappointed with what we learn from Greg, tho it's possible some of our brains implode a tiny bit each time from all the information :)
* Also dues payments were accepted...for 2017 dues will remain the same:
- Local (ACBA) - $10 for individual, $15 for family
- State (optional) - $15 for individual
* Below are three downloadable files that provide general information on the ACBA's efforts to "Help the Bees!" as well as our association programs.
* "What's Buzzin' in 2016" is a projected list of meeting dates and programs for the year.
* If the link does not work, copy and paste the ENTIRE URL into your browser’s address bar. Please be patient as this file could take several minutes to download depending on your system.
* The Bee Buzz has new editors and an entirely new look. We are excited about the changes and hope you are also.
* The July meeting of the ACBA for 2016 was held on Thursday, July 14, 2016 at the Ashe County Cooperative Extension Office, Ashe County Center, 134 Government Circle, Jefferson, NC 28640.
* Meetings begin @ 7:00 PM, but there is generally a Q&A session that is held from 6:30 - 7:00 PM if persons wish to have a discussion regarding anything to do with beekeeping as a hobby or for any matters that may be of interest.
* Join us!
* Our guest speaker was Greg Fariss, regional Apiary Inspector for Ashe County. Greg has been a regular speaker for our ACBA monthly meetings and always provides a wealth of information about beekeeping. On July 14 Greg spoke on diseases of bees. There was also be an open Q&A session for member concerns, comments and questions to share!
* The June meeting of the ACBA for 2016 was held on Thursday, June 9, 2016 at the Ashe County Cooperative Extension Office, Ashe County Center, 134 Government Circle, Jefferson, NC 28640.
* The ACBA President, Randy Baldwin covered a variety of topics about hive management, including information on how to recognize and prevent chalk brood. See the attached photographs which show chalky debris that can appear on the landing board of a hive that is experiencing chalk brood - which is usually the result of too much moisture in a hive - and a box which Randy designed that contains wood shavings that can help reduce moisture.
Link to the meeting minutes to see additional information discussed at the meeting.