* The regular meeting of the ACBA was held on August 13, 2015 at the Ashe County Agriculture Center in Jefferson, NC to a packed audience of 28 Ashe County beekeepers and guests.
* The evening program consisted of an exceptionally informative presentation by Greg Fariss, regional Apiary Inspector for Ashe County - as seen in the thumbnail picture to the right - covering a variety of topics including winter hive preparations, diseases and viruses associated with Varroa mites and treatment for Varroa mites.
* Minutes of the meeting can be read here: 8/13/15 Meeting Minutes
* As part of the presentation, Greg shared a handout dealing with sampling colonies for Varroa mites.
* A promising new treatment option for controlling Varroa mites was also discussed and the product data sheet for Oxylic acid dihydrate was handed out.
* The regular meeting of the ACBA was held on July 9, 2015 at the Ashe County Agriculture Center in Jefferson, NC.
* The evening program consisted of a panel discussion by ACBA President Randy Baldwin, Program Manager Joy Lewis and guest James Wilkes, owner of Faith Mountain Farms and developer of Hive Tracks.
* Minutes of the meeting can be read here: 7/9/15 Meeting Minutes
* Before the start of the meeting, Bob Cole had samples of several plants for demonstration that are pollen sources for bees. Scroll over the thumbnail photographs to the right to see:
- Bee balm
- Corkscrew willow
- Golden rain tree
- Kiwi vine with kiwis
- Korean dogwood
- Orchard mint with parasitic Dodder infestation
* The regular meeting of the ACBA was held on June 11, 2015 at the Ashe County Agriculture Center in Jefferson, NC.
* The evening program featured several YouTube videos dealing with hive swarming that were presented by Program Director, Joy Lewis.
* Minutes of the meeting can be read here: 6/11/15 Meeting Minutes.
* The regular meeting of the Ashe County Beekeepers Association held on April 9, 2015 was treated to an extremely educational session by Doug Vinson, Regional Director of the Mountain Region, NCSBA.
* Doug's presentation "Summer splits: timing and techniques for mite load reduction, colony manipulations to interrupt Varroa mites" can be read here: Regular Meeting Minutes, 5/14/15.
* The evening meeting lasted well past 8:30 PM and didn't allow for any Q&A discussion by the 10 members and guests in attendance.
* Thank you Doug for a great meeting!
* The regular meeting of the Ashe County Beekeepers Association held on April 9, 2015 was treated to an extremely educational session by Jim Miles on two topics: swarming and splitting of hives.
* The evening included a lively Q&A discussion by the 26 members and guests in attendance.
* Thank you Jim for a great meeting!
At the end of the meeting, a raffle was held for the members and guests present to select from a collection of four beekeeping books that were donated by Fowler Bush.
Eugene Brown, NCSBA Freshman Mountain Regional Director and Program Chair of the Surry County Beekeepers (R), presents Randy Baldwin, ACBA President his certificate for completing all requirements to be recognized as a Journeyman Beekeeper.
* Each of the regular 2015 ACBA meetings will be prefaced with a variety of short topics/information (to be announced). There will be some workshops, and hands on opportunities for new beekeeper's throughout the summer as well (to be announced).
- March - Bee Aware team from Boone Bee Club.
- April - Jim Miles, if available. Topic: Hive splitting and Q&A's from group.
- May - Methods on how to catch swarms, fielding Q&A's from beekeepers in the meeting.
- June - Panel and sharing differing likes of equipment used, possibly with some show and tell.
- July - James Wilkes. Topic: diseases and treatments.
- August - Joy Lewis. Topic: use of Essential Oils.
- September - Member show and tell: Readying hives / winter preparations.
- October - Beekeeping Bazaar.
- November - Elections and Association pot luck meal together.