The referenced North Carolina Farm Bureau, Ag in the Classroom program curriculum, which can be opened using the below, downloadable file, was provided by:
Extension Agent, Agriculture
N.C. Cooperative Extension
Ashe County Center
134 Government Circle, Suite 202
Jefferson, NC 28640
(336) 846-5882 (fax)
* There will be a Beginning Beekeeping class at Wilkes Community College/Ashe campus beginning this Monday (3-19) from 6-9 PM.
* Shelley Felder (The Honey Hole) is teaching the class every Monday for 6 weeks.
* Need more info?? Call 336-846-3900.
Toy Lambeth, Volunteer Services Coordinator, of the North Carolina Zoo sent the following request:
Subject: We Need More Beekeeper Volunteers
Good afternoon, Beekeeper Volunteers. I am looking forward to warmer days when the bees are buzzing and Volunteers are back at the Zoo. During the "off-season" I host monthly opportunities for new and prospective Volunteers to join our team.
I am reaching out to our active group of Beekeeper Volunteers asking you to share the attached with your local chapters to promote volunteer opportunities at the Zoo. You are our best source of advertisement and recruitment. I hope each of you will have an opportunity to share your experiences during one of your upcoming meetings, and encourage others to join us!
Interested? Click here: Calling all beekeeper volunteers...work at the Asheboro Zoo this year!!
Contact Toy Lambeth for more information.
Doug Galloway, NCSBA Mountain Region Director, also weighed in on Toy's message, as follows:
I have Volunteered at the NC Zoo Honey Bee Pavillion for the last 3 years. It is a tremendously rewarding experience, helping others appreciate the remarkable honey bee and becoming a better beekeeper. If you would pass this email from Toy Lambeth and the attachment along to your chapter members, I would appreciate it and know they would enjoy the experience
All the best and thank for your service to beekeepers.
Eastern Apicultural Society of North America Master Beekeeper, Bob Cole passed away on February 6, 2020
Bob had been in Watauga hospital since January 12th and had been diagnosed with a brain tumor for which there was no help. He slept most of the time with some spells when he was alert and awake.
Information regarding a memorial service for Bob is provided in this link from his wife, Susan.
Please include Bob, Susan (and the bees!), and those caring for him in your thoughts and prayers.
Open the below, downloadable file to read a biographic review of Bob's remarkable professional life...
* Our own Marna Napoleon received an award from the Ashe Chamber of Commerce for Outstanding Customer Service! Marna works in the children’s department at the Ashe County Public Library and has helped me on more than one occasion.
* Congratulations, Marna!
* Greetings, and happy October!
* The featured speaker at the Thursday, October 10th meeting is Greg Fariss, NC Apiary Inspector for our area. Greg has spoken to our group several times, and while his presentation typically focuses on pests and diseases, he’s always been open to answer questions related to other matters.
* Hope to see you at the County Extension Office - meetings are held at the Ashe County Agricultural Center Office, located at 134 Government Center Drive, Jefferson, NC...meetings begin at 7 PM, but food (pizza and Maggie’s delicious treats) and good company are available at @ 6:30 PM :)
* Dues for 2020 will be taken Thursday, so if you’d like to get that out of the way, Liam will be happy to oblige. Dues remain the same: Individual - $10, Family - $15.
* Incredible as it seems, this will be our final regular meeting of the year!!! Our annual end-of-the-year potluck dinner will be held next month (November 14), so mark the date! More info will be provided over the next few weeks.
* It's still not to late to participate in the 3rd Annual Mite-a-Thon.
* Open the link for all the particulars and JOIN THE COUNT!