An Intermediate Beekeeping Class started on September 10th. Classes are held at Wilkes Community College/Ashe. Classes from 6-9 PM each Monday. For more information on ways to register, call Becky Greer - 336-903-3117 or email - email@example.com.
The referenced North Carolina Farm Bureau, Ag in the Classroom program curriculum, which can be opened using the below, downloadable file, was provided by:
Extension Agent, Agriculture
N.C. Cooperative Extension
Ashe County Center
134 Government Circle, Suite 202
Jefferson, NC 28640
(336) 846-5882 (fax)
* There will be a Beginning Beekeeping class at Wilkes Community College/Ashe campus beginning this Monday (3-19) from 6-9 PM.
* Shelley Felder (The Honey Hole) is teaching the class every Monday for 6 weeks.
* Need more info?? Call 336-846-3900.
Photographs from the 1st meeting of the Ashe County Beekeeping Association are displayed here...
Visit the ACBA website regularly to keep abreast of Association activities for 2022.
The first gathering of the year attracted 23 active and interested beekeepers to the meeting at the Ashe County Agricultural Building in Jefferson, NC.
A presentation was made by master beekeeper and ACBA member Jim Rash (shown lower right) on "what to expect in your hives in March-April."
As seen by the beautifully decorated cake (right), our end of the season banquet was held with a great turnout of members who also enjoyed a scrumptious brisket smoked by Randy Baldwin, as well as numerous side dishes so that no one “left hungry!”
We now go into diapause - entomologically speaking for hibernation - until March of next year. But that doesn’t mean we don’t stay connected with any beekeeping issues, so if there are questions about what you should be doing to keep your hive(s) healthy, drop us a line here!
From ACBA member Helen Baldwin: I'm sharing a beautiful video done by Maddee Burt, a rising senior at UNC Chapel Hill.
- Maddee, along with other students, coaches, and professors, arrived in Ashe County last month to document some local stories. Maddee chose beekeeping.
- The video features our own Jim Rash and Kim and Wayne Pitts, new (and very productive!) members of ACBA.
- My Bee’s Keeper is just under 4 minutes long. You’ll be sorry when it ends!
- The ACBA held a regular membership meeting on August 12th...use the below link to see information on Facebook about the meeting during which H. S. Greene from Hidden Happiness Beekeeping Farm gave a presentation on hives.