* Greetings, and happy October!
* The featured speaker at the Thursday, October 10th meeting is Greg Fariss, NC Apiary Inspector for our area. Greg has spoken to our group several times, and while his presentation typically focuses on pests and diseases, he’s always been open to answer questions related to other matters.
* Hope to see you at the County Extension Office - meetings are held at the Ashe County Agricultural Center Office, located at 134 Government Center Drive, Jefferson, NC...meetings begin at 7 PM, but food (pizza and Maggie’s delicious treats) and good company are available at @ 6:30 PM :)
* Dues for 2020 will be taken Thursday, so if you’d like to get that out of the way, Liam will be happy to oblige. Dues remain the same: Individual - $10, Family - $15.
* Incredible as it seems, this will be our final regular meeting of the year!!! Our annual end-of-the-year potluck dinner will be held next month (November 14), so mark the date! More info will be provided over the next few weeks.
* ACBA member, Jim Rash, will be teaching again at WCC/Ashe this fall - Intermediate Beekeeping. We know it will be a good class!
* Jim has provided contact info below, so don’t hesitate to holler if you’d like to learn more!
- Wilkes Community College Intermediate Beekeeping class
- Mondays 6-9 PM, Ashe Campus
- October 7 through November 25th
- Cost - $70
* Interested or for more information and to preregister, contact Becky Greer at 336.903.3117 or email@example.com.
- Jim will email a tentative syllabus if desired.
* Helen Baldwin provided information which she received via e-mail from Bob Jones of the Alleghany beekeeping group regarding a free, on-line beekeeping course that will be provided by the Alabama Cooperative Extension System which begins on October 15, 2019.
- H.S. Greene is now taking applications for a beginner beekeeping course that will be held in 2019.
The six week course will Include beekeeping history, honey bee biology, pests and diseases, colony management, colony observation, hands on wooden ware assembly, beekeeping choices for optimum equipment acquisition and use. Apiary visits for students at HHBF per schedule with signed waver of liability.
- NCSBA Master Beekeeper Program Certified Level written beekeeper exam will be offered to qualified students on the last class day. The Certified Level Practical exam will be offered in July, 2019.
- Price per student including text: $140.00
Need more information?
An Intermediate Beekeeping Class started on September 10th. Classes are held at Wilkes Community College/Ashe. Classes from 6-9 PM each Monday. For more information on ways to register, call Becky Greer - 336-903-3117 or email - firstname.lastname@example.org.
The referenced North Carolina Farm Bureau, Ag in the Classroom program curriculum, which can be opened using the below, downloadable file, was provided by:
Extension Agent, Agriculture
N.C. Cooperative Extension
Ashe County Center
134 Government Circle, Suite 202
Jefferson, NC 28640
(336) 846-5882 (fax)