Bob has been in Watauga hospital since January 12th and has been diagnosed with a brain tumor for which there is no help. He sleeps most of the time with some spells when he is alert and awake. If visiting him, he may not be responsive or only briefly. When he is no longer able to be helped at home, he may be transferred to a skilled nursing facility possibly mid week. The prognosis is short term, a matter of weeks, two months at the most.
Please include Bob, Susan (and the bees!), and those caring for him in your thoughts and prayers. If you would like to send a card, you can do so through ACBA:
Bob and Susan Cole
PO Box 223
Jefferson, NC 28640
Open the below, downloadable file to read a biographic review of Bob's remarkable professional life...
* The final of the ACBA was our meeting/potluck dinner on November 14th!
* All were welcomed to come any time after 6:30.
* If you are able to come, please contact Maggie as soon as possible (336-982-4104 or Mmcclelland@skybest.com) and let her know how many will be in your party and what you will bring (please also let her know if you are unable to attend so she’ll know you received this). Delicious surprises are always welcomed, but it’s also nice to know at least some of what’s coming in order to fill in blanks! The main meat will be smoked brisket, provided by ACBA; however any other meat dish is welcomed, along with anything else! This is an appreciative group :)
* Also, please consider volunteering for Program Chair. Maggie has done a terrific job for 3 years and is ready to pass the torch. The Program Chair does NOT need to worry about following Maggie in the snack department! Pizza will still be served, and I’m pretty sure plenty of us will be happy to help out in some way. There will also be plenty of help planning the programs! A Program Chair needs to be named at the meeting or shortly after in order to be submitted to NCSBA. Again, the Program Chair will have help with the planning!
* Project reminder: Randy and I have known Sarah Goodman for over 20 years and have supported her generous projects in the past. Two years ago, ACBA members donated enough small jars of honey that every box had one! If you have honey (or anything else) you would like to donate to this exceptional cause and/or you have questions, please contact me if you don’t know Sarah, and I’ll pass it on to her.
- The deadline for donations is November 21; if you have honey, I will be happy to meet you somewhere and take all that is collected to the drop-off (Mount Jefferson Motors in Jefferson) by then. If you have other donations, I’ll be happy to take that as well, or you can drop it off yourself. If you have any honey, you can label it yourself, or I’ll put ‘Ashe Beekeepers’ and a short greeting on it. If you drop it off at Mount Jefferson Motors, please let me know so I can see what else is needed. Thanks!
- It’s that time of year again, time for The Praise Brigade’s 7th Annual Hospice Thanksgiving Boxes. Each year the Praise Brigade, which is a group of 20+ girls from elementary to high school age, get together and fill boxes with everything needed for a complete Thanksgiving meal all the way down to the rolls and pumpkin pie. We work with Jennifer B. Richardson at Medi Home Hospice who then distributes these meals to their patients. Each year our number increases so we could use your help. We have 36 meals to do this year. Any boxes left over we give to needy families. If you would like to do a box I have put a list of items below. You can also help by donating rolls, pies, gift cards (for turkey or ham) or cash or check and we can do the shopping for you. These items can be dropped off at Mount Jefferson Motors across from Farm Bureau in Jefferson. No donation is too small. The sweet thank you cards we receive back each year show that we are making a difference. Any questions contact me or Becky Carlton Greer.
Items that go in a complete box:
Large can of corn
Large can of green beans
Large box of Mac N Cheese
Large Box of instant potatoes or a bag of potatoes
Cake mix/icing Stuffing Mix
Pumpkin Pie ( the ones from the bakery)
Rolls $10 gift card to purchase ham or turkey
We also add items such as jello, applesauce, napkins etc..
These items will need to be dropped off by November 21st.
* * * * *
Hope to see you Thursday!
* Dues for 2020 will be taken Thursday, so if you’d like to get that out of the way, Liam will be happy to oblige. Dues remain the same: Individual - $10, Family - $15.
* If anyone is interested in taking a beekeeping class, this one should be terrific!
* ACBA member, Jim Rash will be teaching a class at Wilkes Community College; the class begins the first week in March at the Ashe Campus, 6:00 - 9:00 9 PM.
* For more information contact Becky Greer, 336-903-3117 or via e-mail, firstname.lastname@example.org.
* ACBA member, Jim Rash, will be teaching again at WCC/Ashe this fall - Intermediate Beekeeping. We know it will be a good class!
* Jim has provided contact info below, so don’t hesitate to holler if you’d like to learn more!
- Wilkes Community College Intermediate Beekeeping class
- Mondays 6-9 PM, Ashe Campus
- October 7 through November 25th
- Cost - $70
* Interested or for more information and to preregister, contact Becky Greer at 336.903.3117 or email@example.com.
- Jim will email a tentative syllabus if desired.
* Helen Baldwin provided information which she received via e-mail from Bob Jones of the Alleghany beekeeping group regarding a free, on-line beekeeping course that will be provided by the Alabama Cooperative Extension System which begins on October 15, 2019.
- H.S. Greene is now taking applications for a beginner beekeeping course that will be held in 2019.
The six week course will Include beekeeping history, honey bee biology, pests and diseases, colony management, colony observation, hands on wooden ware assembly, beekeeping choices for optimum equipment acquisition and use. Apiary visits for students at HHBF per schedule with signed waver of liability.
- NCSBA Master Beekeeper Program Certified Level written beekeeper exam will be offered to qualified students on the last class day. The Certified Level Practical exam will be offered in July, 2019.
- Price per student including text: $140.00
Need more information?